Best areas in Copenhagen: Valby
Valby is situated southwest of Copenhagen’s city centre and has acted as a scenery in many old Danish films. The area is also home to Carlsberg, the famous Danish brewery where you can satisfy your thirst in the brewery’s bar after returning from a self-guided tour around the old brewery’s site.
Old and new meet each other in this promising district
Relaxing in Valby
The Valby Park is the largest park of Copenhagen and ideal for leisure walks and pick nicks. It is divided into special themed gardens and in the summer there are concerts.
- The Cisterns, a long forgotten subterranean reservoir, once contained the supply of drinking water for the Danish capital and could hold as much as 16 million liters of clean water. Located under Frederiksberg Hill in the heart of Søndermarken Park, The Cisterns is the only dripstone cave in Denmark.
- Søndermarken Park itself is a great park in baroque style where you can find peace and place for a lovely walk or run.
- The Carlsberg Brewery in the Gamle Carlsberg Vej was established in 1847. The visitor’s center displays the history of Danish beer and has dioramas to illustrate various processes involved with brewing. After a self-guided tour, you can have a walk through the garden and stables with Jutland dray horses. You can enjoy an authentic glass of beer in the brewery, as well as some traditional Danish food.
- If you are interested in the Danish film history, have a guided tour at the Nordisk Film studios. The highlight of the tour is the visit to Studio 2, which is the oldest film studio in the world. There is also a small museum with old costumes and exhibits from Danish productions.
- The Copenhagen Zoo is just a ten-minute walk from the centre of Valby, located at the Roskildevej in Frederiksberg.
- A great place to have a drink is Café Ciré in the Langgade. It is a modern yet intimate place with a regularly changing menu.
City Guide to Copenhagen & Malmö
Get a free and full city guide to Copenhagen and Malmö with our selection of great restaurants, local bars, coffee cafés and a lot more.